Pages

Sunday 26 December 2010

The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Philip Carlo


Jade Rating: 2/5.

Although not strictly fiction, this true crime tale follows Richard 'the Ice Man' Kuklinski through his memories and recollections of his life as a professional hitman. Highly descriptive and graphic, leaving the audience baffled by the imaginative ways one can be murdered, with a sound attempt at exploring Kuklinski's emotions and thoughts during the murders described through the book. However, I wasn't excited to read this book at all. Infact, it took me a whole month to finish which is a lifetime at Jade HQ, emphasising just how I wasn't captivated by the plot. There was a lot of repetition throughout the book as Carlo was trying to ensure the audience were aware of the relationship between Kulinkski and his wife, his volatile temper and cool demeanor, mob ties, his relationship with others etc etc. This repetition did ruin an otherwise interesting read. Carlo has the ability to inject lashings of the Ice Man's emotions into the text which humanises him beyond an official document and has an excellent ability to tell a story without bias, despite some of the murders being truly horrific. All I can say is that I'm glad I bought this one in the sales as I would have been annoyed to have paid full price for this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment